Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ungainfully Employed, Part Deux

That's right, Part Deux. I could have written 'Part 2', but I decided use 'Deux' for a couple of reasons.
1) 'Deux' has three more characters than '2' and thus required more time to type. As I am ungainfully employed, anything to pass the time is a plus.
2) I had to look the word 'Deux' up in the French Dictionary to ensure I was speeling it right (no, that's not a joke . . . I actually spelled the word 'spelling' wrong) This is a bonus for the same reason as stated above.
3) Remember, "it takes deux, baby, me and you".

Yes, your old friend, chubalicious, continues to be ungainfully employed.
But there is good news!
The first two Baslar flights have left for the South Pole. That means that a good 35 summer contractors have begun the process of opening station for the main body season.

I am currently scheduled on the 6th Baslar flight - but I am not keeping my hopes up for a Baslar ride to the South Pole. My flight schedule has been switched four times already, and I expect that uncertainty will continue. Currently, my estimated departure date is officially listed as 'TBD'. The most likely scenario is that poor weather will continue to incur flight delays, and that the vast majority of us Poley's will fly south on the LC-130 sometime in early November.

I continue to go with the flow. FYI - "Go with the Flow" can be translated as "Enjoying my paid vacation in Antarctica".

Other than that, I have very little to report. My days are dominated by flight schedules, meetings, training sessions, volunteer work in the Galley, and, as always, dance parties.

Weather has been FANTASTIC. Mostly clear skies, temps in the single digits - perfect flying weather. We'll see if that holds - wishful thinking.

Things are well, my lovers are well. McMurdo is wonderful, and I'm glad NOT be working here this season. I do not think I could handle another season - the intensity of the people and the work and the living quarters grinds a sane man into the ground. I suppose that is why people who are a little 'off' tend to congregate here.

Despite the fact that I am quite content to never work McMurdo again, I continue to be thrilled to be 'on continent' and outrageously excited to be going to the South Pole. I fully expect to be blown away and to have the time of my life! I get the seaking suspicion that smaller communities will become the rule of thumb for me in the future.

Here are some random pics. Below, from top to bottom, is Scott Base (the kiwi Base); Castle Rock nestled below the ever-churning Mt. Erebus; and some 'Happy Campers' being dropped off for a night 'on the ice'.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home