Monday, October 13, 2008

Spinning

I've returned to McMurdo.

These are some sweet pics form the plane ride.








The temperature upon arrival to McMurdo was a balmy 17 below, with bright sun, clear, open vistas, and minimal wind. I am instantaneously reminded of that feeling that incessantly and mysteriously draws me back, that feeling that I cannot quite pin down, that sense of adventure, escape, beauty, that sense of the bizarre and surreal, that sense that you are now completely removed from the ordinary.
And yet, one day into my stay at McMurdo, I am reminded of just how rote, boring, and absolutely ordinary this place can be.
It seems we search for something here that is elusive: this place, that is so foreign to human survival, feels so familiar.
McMurdo Station is an unending series of hyprocies and contradictions.
And we all seem to Love it . . . and Hate it.

My head is spinning. Retention rate for employees was 77% this year - unusually high. As a result, I find myself afloat in friends, many of whom I had no expectation of ever seeing again. Its been a whirlwind reunion over the last 24 hours.
Basically, I am overwhelmed; pulled outside of myself by a week of flights, bus rides, talking heads, drinking, new friends, and old lovers. Its been a lot, and it can spiral you out of control, if you don't keep a clear head.

But its all good in the McNeighborhood. I will spend two weeks here, training and screwing around. On October 29th, I am scheduled to fly to Pole. My excitement is growing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home