Friday, September 12, 2008

Ice Castle

Well, I was PQ'd (physically qualified) yesterday, which means that the Raytheon Corporation has decided that I am unlikely to incur any medical costs for them while I am one the ice. SO, looks like I am going for the trifecta - three straight summer seasons on the ice. Excited for me? I am!
My first two seasons were spent in McMurdo station, washing dishes in '06 and working cargo in '07. This year, I will be working cargo again, but at a different location, the South Pole station. The South Pole Station is built on top of a 2 mile thick ice sheet. The elevation is over 10.000 feet, humidity is nearly 0%. Conditions will be more severe (temps in the - 50's F) and the location more isolated. There will be less people and, hopefully better food. More fun facts to come later . . .
I leave at the end of Septemeber.
Let the adventure begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home