Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sorry, Hooch

I finally saw my first emperor penguin.

It went down like this . . .

We were working an especially hectic afternoon at Pegasus airfield, when a co-worker of mine, Hooch, grabbed my attention and waved me towards him. I approached cautiously. He stuck his arm out for me to come in closer and told me he had something really important to show me. My experience with Hooch informs me that he was reeling me in only to assault my nostrils with one of his frequent and famously noxious farts. I backed away and went to work. Hooch was hurt.
Several minutes later, a less mischevious co-worker, Sky, pointed out to me a lone, molting emperor penguin, lounging on the apron, watching the deafening planes come and go. The penguin waried of the noise after long, and began to lumber away, but not before we greeted each other.


I was overjoyed to finally see somwething 'new' this year. And how cool the emperor's are: polar opposites from the Adelie's (no pun intended) - lumbering, dignified, bulky, calm - like an overweight, weathered, wise old man.



Yeah for Penguins!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

cool evan! I'll never forget the day we saw our first adelie! Happy safe travels!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home