Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Polar Plunge

Well, what would any rational being do in the Antarctic, but jump in the water.
Scott Base holds an annual polar plunge in a pressure ridge that opens up during the summer season.
Every year, Pudgy, pasty Antarticans strip down, climb into a harness, and take the leap into the 29 degree Ross Sea.







I took three plunges in all. On the last one, I summoned the courage to dive to the bottom and grabbed some rocks from the sea bed.


The kiwi's out-did themselves this year with a hot tub for the plungers. They stuck a sea ice hole melter in a large bin of saltwater - warming it to a gorgeous 104 degrees.
So, why would one do a polar plunge? Boasting rights? A Hero shot for the blog? To feel alive?

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna Schmidt said...

I MISS YOU! Oh my, it looks like your adventure has been one to remember. I hope your trip back is fantastic and you continue on this adventure of unknown. Hopefully you will be back in the states for Easter this year. I know we would all love you see you and hear your amazing stories. Also, you owe Marie, Jerome, and I two x-mas' worth of Uecker. Well, enjoy your trip home, please be safe but have fun. Oh, and I have a good idea for you, write a book. Your adventures thus far should have sparked many ideas. I know that I would die to read it.
love from WI
miss you
enjoy the rest of your adventure
oh and happy Valentine's day :)

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home