Tuesday, November 21, 2006

2 days AP and I feel the GLORY!

Only 790 days to go!

Well, I just stumbled out of the bar, and to my constant surprise, it was still light out. Every time I leave the bar, I feel like I have either left the bar way too early or way too late.

Between my rotating work and sleep schedule and the constant daylight, the demarkation of time into days, weeks, and months has become arbitrary. I've decided to adopt my own calender. It is no longer Tuesday. It is no longer November. It is not even the year of our Lord 2006. It is simply 2 days AP. I arrived in Antarctica 34 days BP, and I will leave Antarctica sometime between 93 days AP and 103 days AP. All I can say is that living in the time AP is a whole different world. The dark days of BP are over: the ice is shimmering and the skua's are singing. But I wonder, 'If a man dies BP, has he really been to Antarctica, has he really been given a chance at salvation?'

It was back to work today after my glorious, yes glorious in EVERY sense of the word, two days off.

The DA's are starting a waste reduction program at McMurdo. We weigh food waste at the end of each meal and then set goals for reducing our waste. Every time you leave the galley with a clean plate, you get a gold star!

I'm also planning a decompression meeting for all the burners down here. Our ideas are pretty big! . . . we'll see how many of them Uncle Ray shoots down.

Marie, I got your letter yesterday! My first mail in Antarctica! Thank you SOOOOOOO much. Its really nice to hear form home when you feel so far away. Good luck hunting! hopefully you have already shot bambi in the heart, and ripped through her soft baby flesh with your insatiable canines! Save me some jerky!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home