Saturday, November 03, 2007

Discussion

Here's my update, my lovers.
Its pretty grand, on a grand scale, in grandiose terms.
The job is completely kosher - unloading hundred million dollar aircraft with thirty real old loaders. If you sneeze, you're liable to send a fork straight through the hull.
But that's just the rock star aspect of the job. Mostly we just pick pallets up and move them. And then rebuild them. And then move them again. And then load them on an airplane. Then the flight destination changes and we move them on a different plane. Then the flight is cancelled and we move the pallet again. Then we rebuild the the pallet for a different type of aircraft. Then the priority of the cargo changes, so we move it to storage. Then when we try to find it later, its lost, so we rebuild it. Despite a cargo force of over 25 handlers, nothing actually ever arrives or leaves the continent. We just spend the entire day moving it back and forth. At first its frustrating . . . but then you look at the mountains and take the time for a "wow" moment, and all is well with the world.



When I walked off the plane last year, I got the distinct and exhilarating feeling that I was experiencing a completely novel, alien, and beautiful place. Four months in the dish pit wiped that experience from memory, but it has returned in full force this year.
At any moment, I can take a look up, and be in awe. That's a pretty nice environment to work in.
But its so damn cold, especially working nights at the airstrip, where there is no protection from the wind. An un-gloved hand or unprotected nose will go numb in thirty seconds. Staying protected while working requires constant attention. And staying warm requires about 4000 calories per day.
In most ways, I'm much happier than I was last year. I'm actually in Antarctica this time around, and I've returned to a community familiar to me. But my bitterness over the galley has only strengthened. Now that I've gotten out, now that I have experienced life on the outside, I'm all the more angry about the working conditions in the kitchen. Nowhere else on station are employees treated with such disrespect, cynicism, and exploitation. Its outrageous, its unfair, and there's no reason for it.
On the lighter side, first penguin sighting was a couple days ago. The Ice shelf is not very far out this year (which means more wildlife) . . . we're hoping for a return to the good 'ol McMurdo days of open ocean!
Working nights is going to get old quick. There's just not much to do when you have a night off. After working outside so much, I'm less inclined to ski and hike. But I do have my radio show (Mr Happy-pants), which can take me through the most uneventful of nights. And there is a small but tight knit community of night-workers, who find ways to drink the night away.
Alright . . . thats the update. Mostly I'm floating . . . except during the wee-hours of a boring night.
PS Ten gallons of beer will be ready in 24 hours - mega props to my bro, the master behind the curtain

3 Comments:

Blogger Anna Schmidt said...

Umm...I am sad that you will once again be missing christmas and more importantly bad christmas. Jerome and I must kick your and Rie's ass in uecker, its no fun beating up on my Dad. Although I am sad, I am also happy that you are enjoying Antarctica so much more this time around. Keep posting pictures with lovely commentary, I check everyday, its bookmarked. I miss you and I cannot wait to see you. Oh and don't lose the pictures please. Oh, plus I need to see all the pics from your bike trip this summer. Man, I am so far behind in the life of Evan, what is wrong with the world? Alright, Lots of Love!

ps. what types of treats would you like to have sent from the states? let me know so i can put a care package together :)

-Beast

8:57 PM  
Blogger chubalicious said...

hmmmm . . .
treats . . .
I'll have to think about that one

12:39 AM  
Blogger Mommo said...

That is cold, even for me. Just so you don't feel alone, Mercer had 6 inches of snow this past week....
I can't believe they transported Anne Curry (Today Show) and all of her accompanying stuff and staff while scientists are waiting and waiting. And her report was so pitiful (I must admit that I was only able to watch 5 of her segments before I was totally uninterested)!

Keep up the entries, we enjoy them.
Love MOMMO

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home